Thursday, October 20, 2005

The Secret Garden

Years ago I have convinced myself to have classic novels on top of my books-to-read. Well, first of all they are already obviously classic. Everybody surely knows what it means. For practical reasons, they are cheaper than contemporary ones.

I finished reading Frances Hodgson Burnett’s The Secret Garden after a day and a night.

I’ve been looking for it since the day I remembered the feeling of watching “Ang Lihim na Hardin” on tv. Its title The Secret Garden already brings out curiosity of how would its original novel tickle my imagination as I unstoppably turn page after page. I was really excited to be reminded of the feeling books give me. I did not let go of the enthusiasm of reaching that point as I read The Secret Garden from start to finish.

But as I noticed that there’s just one page left of the story, I was sure that I was disappointed. I knew there is climax but I didn’t feel it. There was no combination of emotions effected.

There’s just one positive feeling strengthened in me. But Lois Lowry, who wrote the introduction for the book, and me had opposing views. She emphasized on who the readers might want to be among Mary, Colin and Dickon. Her daughter wanted to be a demanding manipulative invalid while she wanted to be Mary. I wanted to be Dickon. HOWEVER, Lois almost forgot of this character for she “postponed much mention of him” on her intro. She wrote “ he is simply monotonously good. We can stand him. We even like him. But we don’t want to be him; nobody wants to be that saintly. It can’t be any fun.”

Honestly, I half-finished reading her intro so I just returned on reading it after I had finished reading the story itself. I wanted to be Dickon not only because he is an animal charmer, he has a green thumb and he sings well but because he has a very thoughtful mother and fascinating siblings. I do not say I don’t have these. My family is not perfect nor close to perfect. But I won't have any other but them. If I want to be someone I’d rather be someone who’s got his family even they are financially nothing compared to others.

But thanks to Lois’ observation on Dickon I found the right word for the story. It is MONOTONOUS.

I think I should see the movie.

According to Burnett, Magic is all around. People just don't know how to make it happen. Colin made it happen by repeatedly saying and doing what he wants to be until he was able to walk straight and won the a running race against Mary.

I can also make it happen..kahit ako na lang ata ang hindi pumapasang Physio ngayon..PAPASA AKO NG PHYSIO...PAPASA AKO NG PHYSIO..PAPASA AKO NG PHYSIO...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home