Sunday, October 30, 2005

Books

I’ve been wondering long enough if there’s a book authored by a Filipino and was published internationally. Though, I haven’t asked anyone about this.

At the same time, I have been promising myself of reading my father’s books. I felt that he’s been sad because he thought none of his children has put an interest on reading his books. I know the feeling because I placed my own books where I thought my siblings can easily see, grab and read one. This strategy of introducing them to novels is to no avail. They have other interests. After letting my books acquire brown yellow pigments, I returned them to the shelf where they can be safe. Anyway my precious time allowed me to grab one of his books just now.

I have been eyeing his F. Sionil Jose’s Rosales Novels for a long time. My father bought this book after reading the national artist’s Ermita which is actually mine and which has the author’s signature on it.

I have already read his Ermita (borrowed from a friend) before my dormmates and I met him in his book store La Solidaridad along Padre Faura. Being just first years we were really proud and honored to have met him. Because I really want something to remind me of that very moment and, well, to show off I impulsively and hopelessly bought his book and have him sign it. After that signing session, we had a small conversation. I still remember him saying Study hard for our country ha. I run as fast as my foot can carry me back to our dorm leaving my dorm mates in the store to get my camera. But when I headed for the store I met my dorm mates and told me that his driver arrived already and fetched him. Aww..

I chose Tree from the Rosales Novels. Before I read a book it is my habit of browsing the first pages. What surprised me is that what I am looking for is just under my nose, in my father’s shelves! What more is I have already read one. All of F. Sionil’s novels were already published internationally!

Astig no?!

With my hand on my heart-farewell

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home